Wednesday 6 October 2010

Next location: Kadugli , Sudan

After almost 3 months of waiting in anticipation for my Sudanese visa, I am finally finally going! The day I heard the news, I jumped for joy and because I was in Bremen by myself, I couldn't shout out so I updated my Facebook status, my gchat status and my Skype status. Nothing could take away me from my excitement and nothing will. So come Sunday 10 October I will board the flight that will take me to Khartoum and I imagine the first thing that will hit me upon arrival will be the prickly tropical heat - oh how I miss that!

If you haven't been reading your news, it's time to do so. If you haven't been interested in Africa, well, it's a good time to get acquainted. Come January 2011, a referendum on self-determination will be held to decide on Sudan North-South border and as such become the world's latest international boundary. The South definitely would vote for independence while the North will likely try its best to desperately hold on to a united Sudan. This should be a defining moment in Africa and would be one to watch. The line that separates the North and South remains undefined at the moment and has delayed the implementation of the 2005 2Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) that ended almost 22 years of civil war. With anxiety building up on both sides coupled with mistrust between both parties, it will be important obviously that the signatory parties be urged to maintain peace and ensure that he country do not relapse into conflict.

To know more, visit the following links:
International Crisis Group http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/regions/africa/horn-of-africa/sudan.aspx
UNDP Sudan http://www.sd.undp.org/


No comments: